Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Buddhism???

I've recently been interested in Buddhism.


I mean if you think about it, in some ways they are better christians than most christians!


I was just wondering what some of you thought about it.





please no 'christianity is the only religion' stuff, so unless you are buddhist, I would rather not be told which religion you follow, thanx|||I'm Buddhist... I enjoy having fun and diatribe on Y/A and consider myself a regular and normal person?! My suggestion would be to get The Idiot's Guide to Understanding Buddhism and/or Buddhism for Dummies. First read CAREFULLY these to get a very basic foundation. If you like what you read then find some Buddhist Temples in your area and explore a various group of varying sects. The major ones will be Mahayana, Hinayana, Vajrayana, and Zen


Then after these examinations you may be ready to pursue a school that you feel is the most compatible.





A quote from the Dalai Lama, " Buddhism can make you a better whatever you are".





I'm also an Atheist. I consider Buddhism more of a philosophy than a religion, but that is my perspective.





I read your additions and hope this has been helpful. Buddhism doesn't try to get converts in the traditional sense and there are no "one sentence answers". This is why I suggested some foundation exploration. I think you'll find it quite interesting to pursue.|||I made a mistake here: "It is really hard to be a good Buddhist, but that SHOULD stop us from practicing Buddhism. We have to try our best. After all, we are humans and thus imperfect."





Sorry I mean to say SHOULD NOT.

Report Abuse


|||I am a Nichiren Shu Buddhist. I have practing Buddhism since 1980. Here is a link its my priest site to where you can read on buddhism and its very deep and there is books and other things you can get on there too. Huggies....Mary





http://nichirenscoffeehouse.net/ryuei/...

Report Abuse


|||Read "PEACE IN EVERY STEP" by Thich Nhat Hanh Quote by Dalai lama "This is a very worthwhile book.It can change individual lives and the life of our society.H.H.the Dalai Lama.


I know it changes mine each day, I read it over and over and it helps in day to day situaion. Namaste

Report Abuse


|||Check into it and I think you'll find it to be a very tolerant and peaceful existence. It's an inwards journey and can be done without disturbing or disrupting anyone else's path(whatever it may be).|||All religions have black sheep in them. Unless you are a practicing Buddhist, Christian ,鈥? etc there is no point 鈥?





When u come to think of it ..what we really need a religion is to answer the q 鈥?what r v doing here, how are we, what comes next ,鈥?where do we come from, how did universe come in to being , where did we start 鈥? (Yes .. Religion does contribute towards a good society鈥? )





Although Buddhism does not give answers to all above q鈥檚 directly.. it teaches you how to stop the constant birth %26amp; death cycle鈥?br>




Its said that Buddhism is the only religion where there is no Supreme being (GOD) looking at us.. rather.. you create bad or good merit according to yr actions %26amp; they are redeemed in this life or mostly in next lives.





What contributes to yr next birth is the actions covered in the 5 precepts(vows )..


I will abstain from killing


I will abstain from steeling


I will abstain from wrong sexual conduct


I will abstain from lying


I will abstain from intoxicants that cloud the mind





Please read articles on Buddhism in following sites %26amp; ask me any qs you have regarding Theravadian Buddhism





Like in Christianity there are many sects in Buddhism ex: Mahayana, Theravada, Zen.. etc鈥?People in each sect will say their鈥檚 is the best 鈥?


I am not a exception :-)


Any way ..


if one becomes a Buddhist and keeps to the five precepts %26amp; have Loving kindness (Metta) %26amp; does Vidharshana meditation.. I think one is in the right path鈥?|||Buddhism has certainly helped me gain a level of inner peace I once thought impossible.|||Buddhism is a wonderful religion. Carl Jung believed Buddha ('the Light of the East') and Christ ('the Light of the World') were the two examples passed down to us of human perfection.





There's a wealth of spiritual enlightenment to be found in Buddhist Scripture. Don't let yourself get bogged down in doctrine though. Like Christianity, organised Buddhism can be patriarchal and restrictive, particularlyif you are a woman. Find out for yourself the universal aspect of teh Buddha's way.|||If this is what is calling you, I say look into it.|||I am an atheist(even though you don't want to know)... however buddhism is one of the most beautiful and kind religions out there... look at all the information out there about it.... the quotes of buddha are truly works of art!|||I don't know much about Buddhism in generals but it is one of the more peaceful and loving religions that promotes self awareness, understanding, and acceptance. As an Athiest I have never studied Buddhism thoroughly but if you'll let me I can show you what I do know. There is an Atheist Branch of Buddhism dumbed down for the rest of us in the link shown.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/鈥?/a>


Though it is comflicting I also try to incorperate the philosophy of Hedonism which is the belief that pleasure is the most important pursuit of mankind....


I Hope that helps in some small way :)|||So you just want Buddhists to tell you what Buddhists think of Buddhism?








Later: Okay, here's my thoughts on Buddhism. I think Buddhism is sweet and nice and interesting and all that, but I think some of the ideas in Buddhism are plainly irrational.|||In my opinion, we shouldn't follow Buddhism just as a religion to believe in, we should follow Buddhism as a practice- we have to apply it to our daily living. To me, Karma and Compassion are two of the most fascinating concepts/preachings of Buddhism.


It is really hard to be a good Buddhist, but that should stop us from practicing Buddhism. We have to try our best. After all, we are humans and thus imperfect.|||It is fair and smart that you should choose a religion based on its teaching and not based on its followers. Just remember that the LORD Jesus Christ paid the price of our sins by shedding his most precious blood during his passion and death and by his resurrection, we can have eternal life in him! Jesus taught us that he is the only way to eternal life (John 14:6)! Develop a relationship with Christ, repent of your sins, and accept him as your personal LORD and Savior! God bless you!

No comments:

Post a Comment