Friday, September 23, 2011

How can i introduce Buddhism to other countries?

I'm a buddhist currently living in Macedonia and i want to try and introduce the religion to the Macedonian people but the problem is people here are pretty narrow minded and arent really tolerant of new or different things.


Macedonians still havent accepted the fact that gays exist so how am i going to introduce Buddhism to them?|||Many years ago I began practicing Buddhist meditation every Monday night. I put out notices that invited people to join me.





No one came.





Nevertheless, I continued to practice meditation every Monday night - same time, same place.





After a couple of years, one or two people started to come regularly. After a few more years, the group had grown to about a dozen people. After 15 years, the group had grown to 60 people.





The point of this short story is: The best way to introduce people to Buddhism is to do your own practice with great sincerity and dedication.





If you practice in this way, you will transform your life.





If you transform your life, people will come to you. Then you can help them.|||I'm living in the northwestern USA, and the situation here is similar- maybe not so extreme. I sit around the coffee shop reading, or doing Chinese calligraphy, and get in discussions with people. I wear a small brass Buddha around my neck, and a mala on my wrist. They are getting used to it.





Also, when I am driving, I hold back to let others into the stream of traffic or into my lane, and always signal them to enter (or pedestrians to cross) by using the traditional folded palms gesture. That gives them good associations with it. I have a bumper sticker, in Chinese, that starts a lot of discussions, too.|||You: Macdeonia, meet Buddhism. Buddhism, meet Macedonia.


You know, Macedonia, Buddhism here has a lot of celebrity wannabes. Maybe you could meet Will Gere.|||Grow some ultra-potency cannabis and then invite hippies to sample it for free, then lace their drinks with LSD and brainwash them into being buddhists.





:)





edit; the bit about growing ultra-potent cannabis is just general advice really.|||I understand what you mean because people now days are so narrow minded that it is hard to even have good conversation with someone about religion without offending anyone.|||Careful.....they will eventually throw rocks at you.|||You don't preach Buddhism, you live it.

No comments:

Post a Comment